Friday, February 29, 2008

Josiah Leming

So, I happened to fall upon a myspace for this guy Josiah Leming that apparently lots of people had known about from American Idol, but since I don't really watch TV (except for Smallville when there's a new episode) I certainly didn't know anything about him. Just from reading people's comments and such I had gotten the impression that he was this really talented kid but was a brat, or overconfident or something like that. Perhaps full of himself. I looked him up and tried to find as many videos of him as I could to see just how talented he is, specifically the American Idol videos. I watched them all and... wow. He's incredible.





He doesn't come across as a brat, stuck up, overconfident, conceited or anything at all to me. His second audition wasn't his best, but I feel it was just an unfortunate situation. Check it out:



See, from that video I don't think he was being overconfident or thinking that he could pull it off by himself without the band. He was trying to come up with the best solution to do his best. He had never run through the whole song with the band before, and they weren't playing the song how he heard it in his head. It made him more uncomfortable to sing with them. In his mind, he'd have a better shot if he just didn't sing with them. That way they wouldn't get off and he wouldn't be singing it in a way he didn't like. Unfortunately for him, this song wasn't exactly for him and he does better when he's playing at the piano. It was already hard for him to just have to sing while not doing anything in the first place, but it was even harder to have to play with a band that wasn't playing it the way he wanted it, and he had never actually completely rehearsed everything all the way through. It makes sense to dismiss them. Now, I suppose Simon called him annoying thinking that Josiah was referring to the fact that Josiah said that it took a lot of guts to get up there. I think that Josiah was referring to the fact that it took a lot of guts to dismiss the band like he did, which he's right. I wouldn't have the guts to tell them to leave and sing by myself, though at that point it did look like the best option.

Now that I've beat that completely dead, people also made fun of him for crying. But, let's see, what was he crying about? First of all, he cried about having to live in his car for about a year and being lonely. I don't know about you, but that's a pretty good reason to cry. Second of all, he was crying when it was in the middle of the night and he was getting frustrated about choosing an appropriate song to sing and getting it rehearsed with the band and it just wasn't working. He was tired, nervous, and just trying to do his best and it wasn't working. Not to mention what he was trying to work out was for something that could determine his future and getting a record deal and all that jazz. (Which, it looks like he's going to get one anyway... yay!) That also seems reasonable to cry. Then, when he actually performed it and the judges were all in agreement that it wasn't very good, and then Simon calls him way overconfident which wasn't right at all... I started crying just watching the video. I would have cried for sure in his position. He's awesome. I'll definitely buy his first album that comes out. I'm actually kind of happy that he didn't make it to the top 24 on American Idol because his style is just so different than what American Idol looks for. To be honest, I don't think that he's the best singer out of all the contestants. Actually, I'm going for David Archuleta--he's an amazing singer. Though, Josiah's incredibly talented at composing music and expressing himself with it. It's awesome. Just plain awesome.

Anyway... I think that'll be all for this entry. Maybe later I'll post an entry that's actually about my life. We'll see. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd mention, being a musician doesn't mean you have any more emotions "swirling around inside you" than other people.

And am I supposed to be able to see the videos? ...'cause I can't. :P