Sunday, October 5, 2008

October is here!

And I'm still surviving. :) I was starting to feel sick last Friday and Saturday, but am feeling much better. The cure? Walking in the rain for about 45 minutes to Smith's for some groceries on Saturday evening. So, it was only supposed to be about a 10-15 minute walk, but I guess I wasn't exactly sure where it was. I thought I did, but after turning into two or three roads and walking until I was sure it wasn't it, I ended up calling my mom and asking where the heck Smith's was. She led me to it, and I was able to buy some much needed milk for the cereal I was craving. I also bought some other things, such as a twelve pack of Slim Fast shakes (well, the Kroger brand), peanut butter, jelly, bread, apples, oranges, bananas, hot dogs, and bologna. I knew it would be kind of a pain to bring home, but if I wanted breakfast the following week, I need to those cans. It saves a lot of time. Let's just say it was kind of painful walking home. I can still feel bruises where the bags were on my arms. After I couldn't really feel my fingers anymore, I just had them hanging on my forearms while I held them at a 90 degree angle until I got home. I'm definitely sore. :P But at least I have some more food now! I should be set for at least 2 or 3 weeks now.

What else? Oh! I taught my first lesson to the middle school string players at Springville Junior High here! It was a lot of fun! I planned it out so extensively... in fact, I think it contributed to me feeling sick. I went to bed at about 1:45 AM Wednesday night, and I had run out of bananas, which I normally eat along with my shake for breakfast. So I had a smaller breakfast than normal, and I had woken up at about 5 that morning so I could get there early so practice the song I was supposed to be teaching. I had planned to demonstrate it to them, but I wanted to be sure that I knew what I was doing. So, little sleep, stress, and little food I guess made me feel a little sick. But I feel better now! I'll remember to try to take better care of myself in cases like that. :) Thus why I bought more food! I love food. :)

So I'm thinking about what I'll do with my life. I want to go on a mission sometime. I thought I would just go after I graduate, but thinking about it, I'd really want to just go right into teaching after graduating. So maybe I'd go in the middle of my major? The problem: I'm kind of young. When I turn 21, when I can actually go on a mission, I'll be starting my senior year. Granted, with the two majors I'll have two senior years... I don't know. I just wouldn't want to interrupt it. I can just see when I'm looking to get a teaching job when they see that I graduated in 2012, and it's 2013 or 14 and they see I have no teaching experience. "What'd you do?" "I went on an LDS mission." "So... you've forgotten everything you learned from your major?" Well, umm... no, not quite, but it is kind of rusty... uh... yeah. I don't know what's going on. But, besides the when I'll go on a mission thing, I was thinking about grad school. Which, I suppose could solve the mission problem. After I graduate, I could go on a mission, and then when I come back finish grad school, and then get a teaching job, or something. I was looking at the graduate music programs (well, and computer science, but I've basically decided I'd want it to be music), and the MA in Music Education looks interesting. There was one class: Psychology of Music. Oh wow... that just sounds utterly fascinating. It's honestly one of the most interesting things to think about. Why does music evoke certain feelings in people? Who decided that a minor chord makes people feel sad? Nobody! It just does! Nobody told you to feel that way--it just does! I really want to study how and why that is. Oh man... great stuff.

Oh, and Computer Science is pretty interesting as well. :P

Okay, as usual, I have homework I should be finishing. I'll get to that. :)

1 comment:

Vickie said...

Wow! You are really planning ahead. I'm glad you are feeling better and have good food to eat. That sounds soooo heavy coming home from Smith's. I'm glad you survived and are the stronger for it!! It also sounds like you've got some great teaching skills. (Has Kathy rubbed off on you?)